Friday, December 09, 2005

Kitsch

After viewing a movie yesterday evening that didn’t have a “happy” ending, my wife stated, “I didn’t care for that movie”. I responded “it was probably because it didn’t have a pat, kitschy, ending” that provided closure for all involved. The conversation that ensued as a result of this exchange grew rather intense and didn’t close with a happy ending either.

Later, as I considered this exchange, it occurred to me that Danielle’s response is not uncommon, particularly in the main stream culture of America. For some reason, we have come to place a high value on successful causutums and have cast off the unsuccessful and difficult outcomes as mere detritus having no value or use. It is possible that this is a result of our being conditioned by much of the media that we are exposed to on a regular basis. I am sure there are other reasons as well but the discovery of those is for another discussion.

I would argue though, that while it is not wrong to expect all of our endeavours to turn out successfully, and that it is a basic requirement for their success, we should not overlook the import of adverse outcomes, and difficult circumstances. In fact we should look forward to them if at all possible. I can attest, that had it not been for the difficult circumstances in my own life, I would not be as valuable to my peers, my family and anyone else in my “marketplace” as I am. Most likely anyone who reads this could attest to the same thing, that the adverse times in their lives sharpened and honed them,  and even knocked off the excess useless material that was holding them down from their full potential.

To take a broader perspective, consider if you will, the free market system. The new technology, and innovative strategies that are produced by it are a result of there being an inequity or inefficiency that catalyzed these advances. In other words, circumstances became uncomfortable enough that it drove someone to seek out a solution to a problem. It is very plain by this example that the struggles of individuals or groups more times than not results in improvement.

 

No comments: